Background The Women’s Institute movement originated in Canada in 1897. In 1915 the National Federation of Women’s Institutes (NFWI) was founded in Britain, originally as part of the Agricultural Organisation Society (AOS). The first Institute was in Llanfairpwll, Anglesey. Individual Institutes are self-governing and are grouped into county federations which together make up the NFWI. The WI encourages women to participate in community life, cultural projects and public campaigns. The Anglesey Federation of Women’s Institutes was formed in 1930 and became known as the Gwynedd – Isle of Anglesey Federation from 1974.
Local Branch The first meeting of the WI in Llangain was held on the 21 October 1947 in the school. The President was Mrs Harries of Pilroath. In 1969, a banner was made by Mrs Margaret Bowen of Avoca, Heol Smyrna. For the Jubilee celebrations of the County in 1986, Mrs Marilyn Davies of Brynderwen and Mrs Jean Davies of Coedmor Avenue were asked to design a tablecloth which also celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Institute in Llangain. The beautiful hand embroidered cloth and the banner are proudly used on special occasions.
Mae'r dudalen hon hefyd ar gael yn: Cymraeg