LLANGAIN INFORMATION PANEL (Located at Smyrna crossroads. Text only. Panel photo under MAPS) NB * Denotes No Public Access Population 573 (2011 Census)
AWARDS BEST KEPT VILLAGE 1985 1988 1989 WALES IN BLOOM 1992 1993 2003 2004 – Morfa Bach VILLAGE OF THE YEAR 1998 1999 – Environment, 2001 – All Categories, 2002 – Environment & Youth, 2003 – Business & IT.
Situated near the bank of the River Tywi, the parish extends from near Johnstown to Llansteffan in one direction and from Llangynog to the river in another. This parish which encloses an area of almost 3,000 acres consists of very pleasant countryside with gentle hills reaching 350ft / 105m (Trig Point ▲) and stretches of woodlands.
This insignia was donated by Cllr. Haydn Williams in memory of his parents namely, Evan John Williams and Nellie Williams of Glascoed (formerly of Penycoed and Coedmor).
The central symbol, the sheaf of corn, reflects the backbone of this farming community. Surrounding this are three local landmarks (Green Castle, Smyrna Chapel and the Parish Church) while the oak tree recurs in several place names in the village.
There are a few cromlechs or dolmens, the best examples being Meini Llwydion (Greystones) and Merlin’s Quoits. They were communal burial places for family groups dating back to the Neolithic period (c.3000 BC).
GREEN CASTLE *
This is a local landmark above the sharp bend on the B4312. The ruins of the impressive, late medieval residence still stands. It was never a castle but a residence built for the Reed family in the early 15th century and was in ruin in Elizabethan times. It is possible there had been some earthen fortification there at one time. Some believe this to be at Old Castle. Doubtless this would have been a motte and bailey. In times past, ships used to at anchor below to unload onto lighter vessels for transport to Carmarthen.
Llangain Primary School was built in 1875 and the new school in 1977. By now ‘Yr Hen Ysgol’ is a residence.
The present church of St Cain was built in 1871. There is a beautiful tiled mural on either side of the altar in memory of the Gwyn family of Pilroath and Plas Cwrthir. An Elizabethan chalice is dated 1576.
The Congregational chapel is a prominent landmark. Originally built in 1835. Rebuilt in 1865. Present chapel 1915. The white-washed building provided stabling for horses during chapel services. The loft served as the vestry.
Built 1963. Opened 1964. In memory of the fallen in both World Wars. ‘For freedom they shed their blood’.
Built in 1968 for Mr and Mrs E.J.Williams, retired farmers of Penycoed. Coedmor Avenue is named in recognition of their ownership of the land and the family’s continuing local connection.
An old woollen mill which employed four full-time workers in its heyday. Llangain Mill or Factory closed in the 1940s.
PLAS CWRTHIR *
This residence was built as a double pile house around the mid 19th century. William Edward Bevan Gwyn of Pilroath was the first resident.
This mansion was built in the first half of the 19th century. In 1821-1823 Captain Henry Harding lived there and it was afterwards the home of Frederick Philipps, JP. In 1906 the owner was Charles Bankes Davies. It has an upper and lower lodge. The original name for the upper lodge now called ‘The Beeches’ was ‘Chweched’ meaning ‘Sixth’, indicating the six lanes.
Pilroath is situated at the southern end of the parish above the confluence of the Rhoth Brook and the River Tywi. In 1902 the property was purchased by T J Harries, MBE, JP, who built the present mansion. The property was occupied by the Harries family for three generations and owned until 1994 by County Cllr. Arthur Harries, CBE, JP, MRCVS.
Manor house c.1723. Famous as a frequent childhood holiday retreat of the renowned poet Dylan Thomas. It became immortalised in one of his best-known poems called ‘Fernhill’.
‘Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green.
And as I was green and carefree, famous among the barns
About the happy yard and singing as the farm was home’.
The assistant county hangman, Robert Evans lived here during the second half of the 19th century.
This gentleman’s residence was built c.1928 as a retirement home for the Revd. Evan Jones BD, Vicar of Llangain 1900-1934.
THE WOODLAND TRUST
This is Britain’s largest charity concerned solely with woodland conservation through acquisition and management. Greencastle Woods were bought in 1993 and the entire area is now open to the public.
The combination of woodland, meadow, hedge, stream, river edge and quarry face provide a great diversity of habitat, creating an important refuge for all kinds of wildlife. Birds seen frequently include kestrel, sparrow hawk, buzzard, lesser spotted woodpecker and fly catcher. Old hay meadow flowers exist alongside oak, birch, willow and alder.
Originally a small cottage which once housed the Post Office and local sweet shop. It became a public house in 1979.
Built by James Richards in the early 19th century as a result of selling milk products to London with the coming of the railway. Became the local hotel in the 1970s.
Designed and illustrated by Sarah Lees, Llandybie Historical text from THE BOOK OF LLANGAIN by Haydn Williams (Halsgrove, 2007) LLANGAIN COMMUNITY COUNCIL 2010
Mae'r dudalen hon hefyd ar gael yn: Cymraeg